After discovering Instagram in 2011, Michelle Grenier found a creative outlet in exploring the art of iPhone photography.
Michelle, a photographer and instructor at The Image Flow, has over 116,000 Instagram followers under the username michiesharine.
She loves shooting Northern California’s coast with her iPhone and knows the area well. She shared some of her favorite spots with her most recent iPhone class, and now we are sharing them with you!
So grab your phone and head to the coast!
- Pacifica Pier: An ideal place to photograph waves (especially during winter) and birds.
Fort Funston: Particularly special during low tides, with its vast mirror-like reflective beach.
Ocean Beach: Similar to Fort Funston, great place for sunsets.
- Lands End: Lovely place to hike, lots of interesting trees, and expansive Bay views.
- Mile Rock Beach: Part of Lands End, amazing rocky beach good for long exposures.
- Mount Tamalpais: I recommend the Pan Toll area, Bolinas-Fairfax ridge and the East Peak (Fire Lookout area/trail).
- Davenport, CA, between Half Moon Bay and Santa Cruz on Highway 1: Some really interesting dramatic cliffs and coves including Shark Fin Cove, Panther Beach, and Wilder State Park.
- Pigeon Point Lighthouse: Wonderful old light house along Highway 1.
- Tennessee Valley: Wonderful area for hiking with a sweet cove beach.