Learn how to capture sunset and night photography in these individual location-based workshops. Locations include Point Molate Shipwreck Site, Chrissy Field, Cavallo Point, Sutro Baths, and Battery Godfrey down to Marshall’s Beach.
with Hendrik Paul
“Hendrik goes out of his way to meet individual needs. He will always answer your questions in a thoughtful, supportive, motivating way. Whether in the classroom or in the field, Hendrik makes it a point to touch base with you, help and inspire you.”
— Liz C.
The Image Flow is offering a special series of location-based workshops with Hendrik Paul.
Are you looking for inspiration and great locations for sunset photography? Need some new long exposure photography tips? Just want to get out of the house and photograph for a few hours? Join us for one—or all!—of our Sunset and Night Photography Workshops. Locations include Point Molate Shipwreck Site, Chrissy Field, Cavallo Point, Sutro Baths, and Battery Godfrey down to Marshall’s Beach.
On the Wednesday before each Sunset and Night Photography location shoot, there will be a 30-minute Zoom pre-outing discussion where we will go over gear, expectations, and layout of the location.
On the specified Saturday or Sunday, we will meet at The Image Flow before each excursion, then drive in our separate cars to each predetermined location.
Everyone will be able to photograph at their own pace, while our instructor goes to each individual offering help and tips with your night photography settings. Masks are required for Covid-19 safety, of course.
Following the excursion, each person will receive 30 minutes of personal Zoom time with our instructor to go over photos from their photo trip.
Workshop Locations & Schedule
Workshops can be purchased individually by location.
Sutro Baths Shoot
Wednesday, January 13, 7:30PM: Zoom Lecture for Sutro Baths location shoot
Sunday, January 17, 4PM: Meet at The Image Flow. Sutro Baths shoot.
Cavallo Point Shoot
Wednesday, October 14, 7:30PM: Zoom Lecture for Cavallo Point location shoot
Sunday, October 18, 4PM: Meet at The Image Flow. Cavallo Point shoot.
Battery Godfrey / Marshall’s Beach Shoot
Wednesday, November 4, 7:30PM: Zoom Lecture for Battery Godfrey / Marshall’s Beach location shoot
Saturday, November 7, 4PM: Meet at The Image Flow. Battery Godfrey down to Marshall’s Beach shoot.
Point Molate Shipwreck Site Shoot
Wednesday, November 11, 7:30PM: Zoom Lecture for Point Molate Shipwreck Site location shoot
Sunday, November 15, 2PM: Meet at The Image Flow. Point Molate Shipwreck Site shoot.
Chrissy Field Shoot
Wednesday, December 2, 7:30PM: Zoom Lecture for Chrissy Field location shoot
Sunday, December 6, 3PM: Meet at The Image Flow. Chrissy Field shoot.
Workshop presented by The Image Flow Photography Center, providing photography classes, custom printing services, and studio rentals.
Hendrik Paul is a black and white photographer based in Mill Valley, CA. He processes each roll of film by hand and prints in the traditional silver gelatin format. His meticulous hand-crafting is an integral part of his work; these techniques help capture nature’s tranquil and meditative qualities.
Hendrik completed his BA at Providence College and his MFA at the San Francisco Art Institute. He was a 2009 Fulbright finalist and nominated for the 2012 SECA art award with the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art. He has lead workshops at The Image Flow for the past 5 years.
Wednesdays, Saturdays, Sundays
See schedule for times
$150 / location
Email us or Call to Sign Up
- Cavallo Point – Sausalito, CA
- Battery Godfrey – Marshall’s Beach – San Francisco, CA
- Point Molate – Richmond, CA
- Chrissy Field – San Francisco, CA
- Sutro Baths – San Francisco, CA
- The Image Flow Photography Center
401 Miller Avenue, Suite A, Mill Valley, CA
Located in Marin County CA, just north of San Francisco.
Who Should Take This Course
Photographers ages 16 or older, with working knowledge of their camera and interested in sunset and night photography. All are welcome!
- Maximum ten (10) students
- 16 and older (Must have a drivers license)
- Students need to be able to walk/hike in the dark with equipment and gear (hike down to Marshall Beach is strenuous)
- Highlight: Seeing 4 ship-wrecks during low tide with view of Mt. Tam and the Richmond Bridge
- Everyone must drive to locations separately for Covid-19 safety
- Masks are required for Covid-19 safety
Course Tuition Includes
- 30 minutes (per location) of personal Zoom time with instructor after shoot
- Digital camera with manual controls (DSLR or mirrorless)
- A computer with video camera and microphone access (like an iMac or Macbook)
- Adobe Lightroom Classic or Photoshop installed on the same computer
- Zoom installed on the same computer
- Working knowledge of their camera, Zoom, and Lightroom or Photoshop
- Optional: Lens with infinity focal setting, Cable Release